Friday, October 11, 2013

Critique 10/11

My first critique of the scavenger hunt photos is of the photo by Sarah Wager.  The photo she had of the plane specifically.  There were a few things about the photo I did not agree with you on, for one if she was trying to depict that she was afraid of planes then I think the plane should have been in motion and not the foreground.  Having the plane be static doesn't give off a feeling of dread or fear, it gives the plane nothing.  There's not really an emotion coming from the plane so it doesn't really make me think she's afraid of it at all.
Also, perhaps this is a little nit picky, but I think the image would have been clearer if the plane was positioned a little bit higher - having it that close to the ground not only makes it harder to see but it also tends to delude the focus on the plane.  Mistakenly someone could have assume the photo was more about the sky than the "fear of planes".

The second image I have to rebuttal is the one of the bird by Nicole Carter.  Perhaps this is mostly because I like birds but I think it's a pretty successful picture.  The subject matter could easily be considered a bit cliche but given what it is I think it was a decently composed shot.  It's hard to get photos of birds - especially if they are close enough to notice you and she got a good clear shot of the bird.  I do have to agree with the fact that it's fantastic that the colour palette of the bird and the background match so well, but I also feel the composition of it was successful as well.  The way that the window framed the opposite side of the bird created a good sense of balance, and the gate that the bird was sitting on was framed in an interesting way and wasn't distracting in the photo at all.

The last image that I enjoyed was Micheal Digioia's (pardon the terrible spelling) photo of an over exposed girl.  While for the most part I don't tend to like the "over exposed / over filtered" look because it reminds me too much of Instagram and I really dislike that site/tool/app/piece of crap - I did however like this photo.  As preciously stated in my earliest blog, I like fashion photography, it's appealing to me and this definitely said fashion to me.  The overall wash of the photo was soft and done well enough so that there was still plenty of detail and left us with enough information to fill in what we needed as well.  In all honesty, I could imagine this photo as a commerical ad or a space in something like Vogue because of the vibe that it is giving off.

Below is the link to my "best" scavenger hunt photos (I know it's not 10 and I apologize...)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0gzxr95s8db8ru9/Best%20of%20Scavenger%20-%20Edgerton.rar

2 comments:

  1. I can see wanting the plane in motion to give off more of a feeling on anxiety but the plane is pretty sizable in the frame I don't think viewers are gonna miss it in the sky.

    I agree about the bird I don't remember hating on that picture to much.

    Now I know I liked the over exposed picture disagree with me more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok not sure what to do as .rar file do me a favor and resend it as a .zip file

    ReplyDelete