Thursday, September 12, 2013

Introductions

Hello, My name is Jennifer Edgerton, I'm a senior here at MSU. I'm mostly interested in illustration, I've been drawing since I was little.  But my parents are both wedding photographers (my dad has also done photography for a lot of other clients as well) and I myself have always had an interest for photography and so now I want to get better and learn how to properly use a camera to the best of its abilities - and mine.

Things that I hate the most mostly follow along the lines of doing things wrong - knowing they're entirely wrong - and somehow being proud of that.  I like many other people have pet peeves as well, but I think something that bothers me the most is being two-faced or hypocritical and not owning up to it.  Perhaps some other things I dislike are people refusing not to be open to others ideas (plain stubbornness) and not accepting that everyone has different thoughts and feelings on things - that their opinion is right and no one else's can be.


As mentioned before, my parents are photographers (which does not in any means necessary make me prime-cut or better) I've grown up watching how they set up shots, how they pose people, learning what's proper lighting, what's flattering on people, etc.  While I regretfully have not pertained all of this knowledge, I'm still somewhat aware of it.  I've done a bit of photography on my own, but it's nothing to hang in a gallery or anything - I still have a lot to learn and work on - a lot that I wish I knew and understood better.


My major is Animation / Illustration, I'm hopefully planning down the road to either do character design or storyboarding for movies or tv shows.


The camera I have is Nikon D70. Yeah.


My favourite genre of music is industrial rock and metal (of all kinds), I do also love a good techno song (or however people are defining it these days - dubstep, I guess? But that's sometimes VERY hit or miss to me) but I also am an eclectic listener; I like classical, rock, a bit of pop, a bit of r&b. 


Favourite food? Who isn't a fan of Italian food?  And sometimes I enjoy a good plate of sushi or other oriental dishes.


My favourite movie is a hard one to answer - I have a lot of films that I've really enjoyed over the years, but I think one that has stuck with me is Ink (2009).  It's currently on Netflix and I highly recommend it if the summary sounds like it's your fancy.


Currently my favourite tv show is hands down: Game of Thrones. 


I don't really per say have a favourite photographer but I tend to like fashion photography the most.





I chose this image located above (created by Kristian Schuller) because I really liked the use of lighting and the colours of the image.  I loved how the butterflies lead your eye around the guy and then straight up to the girl in the dress.  To me this image tells a very simple narrative about a guy trying to catch a butterfly - or a girl in this scene - and this image is all about the chase and the moment of capture.  Plain and simply it speaks to me about a guy in love with a girl and trying to "catch" her.  Even though the imagery is so complex, the subject matter is simple but can invite and infinite amount of theories about what is going on. 


2 comments:

  1. Cool I am with you on the game of thrones what you like for metal? and I am disappointed on not being able to explain the difference between techno and dub step, I am doing my best to understand

    ReplyDelete